Why is Eye Donation Essential?
As per the statistics there are over 2.0 million Indians suffering from Corneal Blindness and unfortunately majority of them are children. To this figure of 2.0 million, 40,000 is added every year. Since there is no substitute for human tissue, the transplantation process depends upon the priceless gift of EYE DONATION ALONE
What Is Corneal Blindness
The Cornea, which is the clear tissue covering the front of the eye is the main focusing part of the eye. If the Cornea becomes cloudy or scarred, vision can be markedly reduced or lost.
Causes of Corneal blindness
Injury, malnutrition, infection, burns, congenital disorders and surgical complications can cause corneal blindness. Transplantation Is the Answer Fortunately, through surgical technical of Corneal Transplantation, sight restoration is possible
Eye Donation Is a family issue
As the decision for eye donation is made by the family members when a death occurs, the commitment and involvement of the whole family is required. Eye donation will work best, when it becomes a tradition in every Indian family and a part of our culture, irrespective of religion and other aspects
Who can donate ?
Anyone of any age can donate eyes. Persons suffering from diabetes, hypertension, asthma, TB can also donate eyes. Patients who have undergone cataract operations can also donate eyes. Eye donation from one person can restore eyesight to TWO blind persons.
Cornea have to be removed within 6 hours after death. So, let no time be lost.
How It is done
After the death, the members of family inform the nearest Eye bank, eye bank personnel will come and collect donor eyes at no cost. Eyes are transported to the eye bank and stored after screening tests, Transplantation is done in a hospital as soon as possible.
1.Total eyeball is transplanted.
2. Eyes can be donated while the Donor is alive.
3. Eyes can be removed even long after death.
4. Eyes are bought and sold.
5.The Donor's face is disfigured.
6 Long time is taken for retrieval of Cornea from Dead Body.
7. All types of blindness can be cured and vision restored.
8. All eyes harvested are utilized for transplantation.
9. No need to screen the donor cornea for diseases.
10. Corneas are removed ONLY at a Hospital or Death in Hospital or Nursing Home.REALITY
1. Only the cornea can be transplanted not the whole eye ball.
2. Pledging is done during life. Corneas are removed only after death.
3. Cornea should be removed within 6-8 hours of death.
4. Eyes are neither sold nor bought. Donations are purely Voluntary and on information and acceptance from the close relatives of the bereaved family.
5. The Donor's face is not disfigured.
6. Only l5-2O minutes is needed for retrieval.
7. Only corneal blindness can be corrected & vision restored by Eye Donations.
8. After evaluation, the Corneas that are not suitable for transplantation are used for research purpose.
9. The donor's blood is tested for Hepatitis/AIDS/Venereal Diseases etc.
10. They can be removed at hospital or even at residence or where ever Death occurs.
How can you help the Eye Bank?
1. If there is a death in friend's/relative's/own house, you can, motivate the members of bereaved family to donate Eyes and inform the Eye Bank .
2. Pledge your eyes for donation. Let it be a family tradition.
3. Propagate Eye Donation.
4. Become Friends of Eye Bank / Volunteer / Sponsor.
5. Donate liberally for this humanitarian cause and help in Eradicating Corneal Blindness.
MOHSIN EYE BANK (managed by VEBART Trust) solicits the patronage, cooperation & assistance of:
District Administration, Hospital Administrators, Government Doctors, practicing physicians & Surgeons, Corporate Sectors, Commercial Establishments, NGOs, Philanthropic & Social Organisations, Trade Unions and Citizens to assist the Eye Bank in whichever capacity they can, to achieve our objective of providing Sight to the maximum number of people possible.
We need your help. Please note the phone and address. You are welcome to visit the Eye Bank. Help propagate Eye Donation. Spread the message "Donate eyes to the Eye Bank (within six Hours after death) before burying or burning the body". Please go through the WHOLE SITE. Become Friend of Mohsin Eye Bank.
As a priority we require the below to function more effectively
1. FUNDING FOR HOSPITAL CORNEAL RETRIEVAL PROGRAMME (HCRP): (We allot more funds on HCRP):
a) 24 hours monitoring of the King George General Hospital and other Hospitals in Visakhapatnam. So that ultimately the corneal donations cab be increased considerably.
b) Awareness can be created among the medical & paramedical personnel like hospitals, medical colleges, nursing staff, Laboratories and polyclinics etc.
2. MINI VAN / AMBULANCE FOR MOBILE EYE BANK AND INFORMATION CENTRE:
a) FUNDING FOR DRIVER SALARY AND DIESEL ALLOWANCE FOR 5 YEARS
With providing of ambulance it is more facility to Doctors, Technicians,
Grief counselors and it creates more awareness also.
3. COMPLETE AUDIOVISUAL SETUP like LCD, LAPTOP, CD’S, VIDEO, DIGITAL CAMERA etc. :
With providing of audiovisual setup we could conducted more audiovisual programmes to various sections of society.
4. PERMANENT PREMISES :
Presently the eye bank is in at rented premises, requirement of permanent premises for Eye Bank Laboratory on a 24 hours running basis and also facility to conduct in house audiovisual programmes for eye bank technicians and other paramedical personnel teaching and training